Sun Ultra 30 Information
I've lashed this together from myriad source i've collected on the web.
Unfortunately, i have not found a thorough on-line source of information
for Sun's more modern hardware.
The Sun Ultra 30 has the following attributes:
- Can use one 248 or 296 MHz UltraSPARC-II CPU. (upgradable, and
there are some reports of people using faster CPUs, like the 400 MHz
- Both types of CPU are 64-bit, SPARC v9 architecture.
- 296 MHz CPU has 2 MB of SRAM cache, 248 MHZ CPU has 1 MB. Same CPUs
as Ultra 2.
- Two Internal hard drive bays designed to take 25.4 to 42.3 mm
(1-1.6 inch) tall, 88.9 mm (3.5 inch) wide, UltraSCSI hard disks, on the
common, Sun "SPUD" style disk bracket.
- SCSI CD-ROM bay (default was 12x CD-ROM)
- Floppy Drive bay
- four PCI slots (which supposedly comply with 2.1 rev of PCI spec.),
one @ 66 MHz, three @ 33 MHz.
- 16 RAM slots, which take 16, 32, 64 or 128 MB DIMMs. (Max 2GB)
- 60-ns 5-volt DIMMs.
- Same RAM as Ultra 1, Ultra 2 and SPARCstation 20.
- Memory may be installed in pairs. When installed in groups of
four, it can be interleaved for improved performance. (Memory
path is 288 bits wide)
- Can hold two (PCI) frame buffers of the following types:
- Creator 3D
- Elite3D m3
- Elite3D m6
Note: Only one Elite3D m6 can be installed. (The second frame
buffer would then have to be one of the other 3 types.)
- UPA crossbar interconnect is 144 bits wide: 128 for data, 16 for ECC.
- UPA I/O data path is 72 bits wide: 64 data, 8 bits ECC.
- 100 MHz system clock
- 1.6 GB / second system (bus) throughput
- Built-in SCSI is
- model (53C875)
- UltraSCSI, Fast/Wide
- 40 MB/second
- On board 100 Mbps HME . (Fast Ethernet) Has both RJ-45 and MII ports.
- Performance benchmarks:
| CPU || SPECint_95 || SPECfp_95
| 248 MHz || 10.0 || 14.9
| 296 MHz || 12.1 || 18.3
- (2) DB25 serial ports. (50 bps to 384 Kbps)
- One DB25 parallel port.
- One standard Sun keyboard/mouse port. (mini-DIN-9)
- Oldest Support OS: Solaris 2.5.1 HW: 4/97
$Id: ultra-30.html,v 1.2 2002/05/28 02:34:23 johan Exp $i